(urth) grumble at wolfe comment made attached to guardianarticle

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:48:48 PST 2011

>Marc Aramini: 'cuz green is urth. Oh, sorry.  Couldn't help myself.

Heh, heh. And why should you? ;- )

>Why aren't there any Vanished People in the Whorl?

Perhaps there are. Maybe in electronic form? I think it would please
James if creatures with windy names were associated with Typhon/Pas.

My interpretation of Juganu's words is that the conflict/symbiosis
between Neighbors and Inhumi has been going on for a long time and
has been carried to various other worlds  giving rise to mythological
stories on Urth and even Earth. Apollonian and Dionysian (light and dark)
contrasts go back to the orgins of the universes.

>I do wonder if Wolfe retconned those notules into inhumi.  Not many
>similarities but I never understood their presence on Urth, or why they
>were that one creature's wings

Even more so for Shadow Children, perhaps

I think the calling the wings "notules" could be metaphoric at one level.
But the presence of dark things that suck the light out of bright, shiny
things has a real mytho-religious meaning and is a repeating theme
throughout BotNS. Plus there is something funny going on in BotNS with
"blood bats".

>Roy C. Lackey- The inhumi were introduced into the LSW by the Neighbors.
>Windcloud was one of them:

>"I was one of those who boarded your whorl when it neared our sun. In the
>_Whorl_, I made the acquaintance of many of your race, and I have known
>others since, on both the whorls we once called ours."

Sure, that could be the answer. Better than boring through the hull, anyway.
Still, there are some problems. First, how long ago was this Neighbor visit to
the Whorl? I agree with Stu there is a question of how long was the
infiltration and establishment by Quetzal. It seems pretty long. How long has
the Whorl been in orbit?

Second, if the Neighbors were on the Whorl in recent times, why isn't that
discussed in Long Sun? The presence of Quetzal suggests certainly they made
an appearance in Viron. At least loquacious Lemur or somebody should have made
mention of the appearance of a creature with an indeterminate number of legs, heads,
bodies, whatever. What form did the Neighbors (and Inhumi) take during this
infection? Who were the "many" acquaintances and why did we not hear from them?