(urth) Wolfe @ Capricon 2011

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 07:57:53 PST 2011

http://www.capricon.org/capricon31/CC/index.php/reports/rep_schedule
If you're near Chicago, you lucky bastard, Wolfe is supposedly going to
be there this weekend.
That panel "Succeeding as a Professional Writer" looks like it would be
interesting. I'll bet it would probably be more interesting if they
dropped the other panelists and just had Wolfe do it. I predict it will
be like other similar panels I've seen: All the other panelists will
give airy-fairy advice like "follow your muse" while Wolfe gives
specific practical advice: "Do this, and this, and this."

Anyway, it is exemplary of how much more approachable Wolfe is at these
Chicago conventions in that he is not even listed among the "Honored
Guests" on the website. If you can go, you should.

*Reading: Gene Wolfe - Friday, 02-11-2011 - 1:00 pm to 1:30 pm - River
AB (Cafe)*

*Autographing: Gene Wolfe - Friday, 02-11-2011 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm -
Autograph Table*

*Ordinary Man, Extraordinary Circumstances - Friday, 02-11-2011 - 7:00
pm to 8:30 pm - Lake Michigan B*
For decades, readers have devoured stories about what happens when the
Average Joe from our world falls into another world and becomes someone
important. What's the appeal of these stories?
/Richard Chwedyk (M)/
/Phyllis Eisenstein/
/Ross Martinek/
/Gene Wolfe/

*Mainstreaming of SF - Saturday, 02-12-2011 - 10:00 am to 11:30 am -
Botanic Garden B (Special Events)*
When did SF come out of the closet and start gathering around the water
cooler? Are we finally escaping the "ghetto" of SF?
/Richard Chwedyk (M)/
/Phyllis Eisenstein/
/Gene Wolfe/

*Succeeding as a Professional Writer - Saturday, 02-12-2011 - 11:30 am
to 1:00 pm - Ravinia B (Teen Lounge)*
Words. Words. Words. You've got them, you're putting them on paper, and
you want to sell them and become a published, professional author. Join
some of our pros and get tips on how you can you make your dream come true.
/Richard Chwedyk (M)/
/Jennifer Lawrence/
/Mary Anne Mohanraj/
/Lawrence Watt-Evans/
/Gene Wolfe/

*Nice Idea You've Got There... Too Bad You Can't Write. - Saturday,
02-12-2011 - 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm - Elm*
It has been said that part of why SF / F is marginalized by critics is
because the quality of writing is poor. It has also been said that fans
put up with poor writing if the ideas are cool enough. Is a neat idea
enough? What options exist for writers to improve the quality of their
writing?
/Walt Boyes/
/Richard Chwedyk (M)/
/Dina S. Krause/
/Joy Ward/
/Gene Wolfe/

*Book Cover Illustration and Design - Sunday, 02-13-2011 - 10:00 am to
11:30 am - Botanic Garden A (Special Events)*
Everyone has opinions about book covers. What's good, what sucks, and
what could be better? Why do you choose certain covers in a buying
situation over others? An open discussion and critique of SF / F cover art.
/Walt Boyes/
/Mary Anne Mohanraj/
/John Picacio (M)/
/Gene Wolfe/

*Tentacle Love - Sunday, 02-13-2011 - 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm - Birch B*
The influence of Lovecraft and Cthulhu on today's SF and horror.
/Brian Babendererde/
/Valli Hoski/
/Stephen D. Sullivan (M)/
/Gene Wolfe/