(urth) grumble at wolfe comment made attached to guardian article

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 17:04:08 PST 2011

--- On Sun, 2/6/11, Lane Haygood <lhaygood at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Lane Haygood <lhaygood at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: (urth) grumble at wolfe comment made attached to guardian article
> Date: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 4:38 PM
> Literary fiction is entitled to its
> pretensions. That is, after all, what distinguishes one made
> up story from another sufficient to call it "literary."

I guess.  But then you know there are these grants and stuff, like Vollman getting 50,000 tax free for five years, for, as you said, creating a made up story.  Just reeks of ... injustice?  I don't know.  But those pretentions are so ... repetitive and boring?  The best SF is sometimes pretentious in novel and interesting ways.