(urth) Home Fires and calendar reform **SPOILERS**

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Wed Feb 2 17:10:09 PST 2011

Dave Tallman wrote:

> Christmas as a secular holiday has a lot of momentum, since gift-giving is
> a major boon to business. What could have killed that? Possibly the
> energy-poor future would have seen it as an unnecessary waste of
> resources,and stopped the secular celebration.

Actually, there's evidence for the continued celebration of Christmas,
because Chelle says to Mitch, "I bet there's a company Christmas party."
She's flirtatiously suggesting that he'll see more of her even after she's
settled in as the contracta of the boss, but  she wouldn't use this idea as
a cover if the possibility of such a party didn't exist.