(urth) Home Fires and calendar reform **SPOILERS**

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Tue Feb 1 23:45:43 PST 2011

Darth Ed wrote:

> Hi, Dave. While I agree that the 100-day billing period for rent is
> suggestive, I think it's a bit of a stretch to make the leap to 400-day
> years. It just doesn't seem very pragmatic. And, if humanity were going to
> deviate from a solar-based calendar system, why choose 400? Why not 1000? 10
> periods of 100 days each. Probably have 10 days in a "week" with 10 of those
> per 100-day period. I.e., the metric calendar system. That seems just as
> likely.

There is more evidence that fits my theory. Johnson says he held a job for
"200 days or so, about half a year." That looks like either the old 365 or
my 400, not 1000. They still use week-day names, so likely the seven day
week is still around. Business likes to work in quarters of a year, so I
stand by 400.

Anyway, I have another theory regarding the _Home Fires_ calendar, one that
> isn't wholly incompatible with yours, I think. As I was re-reading chapter
> 1, the opening scene got me thinking. It's snowing outside, and, when Skip
> wakes up, there's a gift of sorts waiting for him. Could this be
> Christmas???

The only "gift" is the announcement that Chelle is coming home. If it's
Christmas, it's also a work-day and nobody says "Merry Christmas" or
anything. Based on the travel plans Skip makes, the date must be 178, so the
Fourth of July doesn't work (a very clever idea, though).  It's extremely
likely that the year numbering was restarted with this calendar change.

Skip tells Sally he wants a suite reservation near the port for "the day
after tomorrow" which must be for what he expects will be a reunion night
with Chelle. He gets it for one night only, and that must be for day 180.
His 34-hour bullet train trip, leaving no later than 20:00, is compatible
with this. It would get him to the port   no later than 06:00 on 180. So
even if "this coming Saturday" is a little odd for the waitress to say, it
has to be only two days away.