(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Sat Dec 24 00:34:12 PST 2011

On 12/23/2011 9:16 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> This discussion is about giving
> credence to explanations of the Universe, and Jeff pointed out the
> usefulness of a given explanation is the criterion for credibility. The
> criterion works psychologically, but not scientifically, so it actually
> supports rather than negates Lee's original assertion that people
> function by belief.

I think I was speaking about how credibility aids suspension of
disbelief in a given work of science fiction. Demonstated scientific
accuracy greatly aids credibility, but it's totally optional: Wells
articulated that his books were based on impossibilities, yet they are
undeniably science fiction by the standards of their time as well as ours.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >