(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 08:37:21 PST 2011

Dave Lebling wrote (23-12-2011 16:19):
> As to the second point, Plato's Cave is an old and well-worn thing.
> Everything we see is "enhanced" so that the human brain can construct an
> image. This happens in the eyes first, and continues in the visual
> cortex. Does anyone on the list doubt the reality of telescopic images
> because they have been "enhanced"?

It all depends on degree. Like interpretation of Scripture, beyond a point,
enhancement is just superimposing your paradigm on the data.

Lee's 'photo' idiom is quite clear - something which is as close to
immediately understandable raw data as possible. In the case of subatomic
particules, nothing close to raw data is immediately understandable, since
they are more than order of magnitude away from us.