(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 10:20:20 PST 2011

Gerry Quinn wrote:

> Yes, that is a good summary of what I think.

Thank you. I'm glad I didn't misrepresent you.

> And I treat the powers of
> Mucor, for example, as theoretically explicable in terms of such an
> imaginary realistic process.

Okay, so far as it goes. But...

> We are also told something of the process by which Whorl gods possess people
> – it involves data transmission of the ‘pattern’ of the god, presumably the
> program.  And that pattern gets mixed with the mind and personality, at
> least, of the recipient.

Agreed: we are _told_ this. But...

> I don’t think Wolfe talks much about souls as such.  I’m not sure we can
> flatly state that he is postulating that they are an entirely separate thing
> from the mind and its connection to the universe.

...but I think that talking about Lupine fiction, and _especially_ the
Briah cycle, without seeing souls everywhere, is akin to Dr. Crane's
explanation of Silk's enlightenment as a cerebral accident. It is
self-contained and in its way complete, but it misses the point. To
insist that everything be "scientifically" explicable is reasonable;
to say that this is the true explanation is to cut oneself off from
entire layers of meaning.

And the sad thing is that Crane cannot even conceive of what he is
cutting himself off from. Is that true of you also?

(This is a sincere question. I am not trying to "convert" you, but to
understand where you're coming from.)

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes