(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Dec 22 08:46:16 PST 2011

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

> Gerry Quinn wrote:

> >> More to the point, it was intended to give the impression that such a
> >> physical process was being discussed. However, no serious physical
> >> mechanism was ever proposed (beyond unspecified "brain mutations" with
> >> no mechanism attached to _them_).

> > It’s the difference between a hyperdrive and a magic carriage.  No real
> > science is involved in the discussion of the hyperdrive, but the reader is
> > to understand that it is a technology made possible by advanced
> > understanding of physics.

> Correct, so far as it goes. But there is an implied technology behind
> "hyperdrive." In the case of psi, something just -- magically? --
> happens to give these people powers and abilities far beyond those of
> mortals. Calling it a brain mutation is just handwaving; and while
> "hyperdrive" is handwaving also, it is handwaving that suggests
> something, years of technological and theoretical advances which are
> _not_ implied in "psi."
It’s usually glossed more as an innate ability rather than a ‘mechanical’ technology.  But it’s implied that it is scientifically understood.
To you, maybe, the handwaving does not suggest anything.  But I think to most readers it does.  For most readers, hyperdrives and psi will be accepted as being on somewhat similar footing.
- Gerry Quinn