(urth) Agia's Weapons

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Dec 21 08:04:45 PST 2011

On 12/21/2011 10:35 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
> This assymptotic pattern is repeated often enough that I think it is
> intentional by Wolfe. He wants there to be progressively more
> difficult solutions to figure out but he doesn't want there to be any
> complete and final answers to his mysteries. By this principle, Wolfe
> himself does not know where the line should be drawn between likely
> solutions and red herrings or reader invented speculation.

I have often thought this but have not found a way to describe it.

> Severian fears the Old Leech's methods of gaining knowledge involve
> the torture of children (shades of Baldanders). I find the Old Leech's
> pedophillic tendencies to be complementary to Father Inire's
> fascination with young women (not to mention Dionysus/Pan ;- ).

Could pedo/hebephilia not be a clue to a deeper evil rather than a sign
of identity? That is, if again we consider the Cthulhu-worship model of
how humans may descend to absolute depravity (always more useful to me,
for some reason, than silly "satanism"), a willingness to manipulate
others---perhaps especially through sexual sadism or slavery---at least
predisposes one to further corruption. And if there is "real" evil in
Severian's world, then it will find that willingness and bring it to
fruition. Thus, Hethor's use of sorcery, Agia's use of every weapon
available, the Leech's (and possibly Baldander's) abuse of children in
the pursuit of further knowledge and power, and the undines' blind hope
that an executioner autarch will see things their way.

BTW, making Inire the source of all these seems to defeat the point of
evil---if evil had a point source it would be a disease, not a moral choice.