(urth) Agia's Weapons

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 11:36:57 PST 2011

> From: Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
>> David Stockhoff: But intuitively, I agree that if there is a Pelerine blade
> in a shop (I
>> note it had an "ivy-root handle" if that helps)

> Thanks for reminding me of
> the ivy-root handle. Previously I had no idea what significance that might have. Since
> the discussions
> in here of the past year or two, I am wondering if it is a (very) tangential
> reference to our
> friend Dionysus. Ivy is a sort of vine.

And specifically associated with Dionysus, as at

http://books.google.com/books?id=XCDvuoZ8IzsC&pg=PA153&lpg=PA153

> Rudesind is explicit in admitting that his meetings with Severian were not
> accidental but staged by Inire.
> I suspect the same is true for meetings with Agia, the Old Boatman, Dorcas,
> Talos and Baldanders,
> The Cumaean, The Old Autarch, the Old Leech, probably even Typhon.

Okay, I suppose it's time to ask this question--not just of you, Lee.  As I recall (I'm AWB), the aquastor of Malrubius tells Severian that "powers above the stage" are managing his life.  When do we know who does that and why?  For instance, is the resurrection of Dorcas an example?  If so, who is or are responsible, and how do they manage it, and how does it serve their purposes to have him resurrect his grandmother or to have a relationship with her?  The same questions apply to the examples above and every other incident that Father Inire or any other manipulator is supposed to be responsible for.  The only thing I remember that Severian says on the subject is that the undines may have saved him to put a torturer on the throne.

Jerry Friedman