(urth) Suzanne Delage again, kind of

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Mon Dec 19 14:29:18 PST 2011

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> From: David Duffy
>
>> Adam Robert's _Land of the Headless_ (2007) has his protagonist fall
>> heavily for _Siuzan Delage_.  Some have thought it a nod to Proust, but
>> the plot I think is more a riff on Wolfe (among other things).

> Roberts has reviewed Wolfe extensively. I think it's a safe bet that
> he *knows* Wolfe's _Suzanne Delage_
>  That said, I don't think it is
> likely to be any sort of direct assault either, simply because a
> character who appears offstage in a short story isn't much of a jumping
> ground for any kind of assault.  I wouldn't be surprised, though, if
> there is some implication that the idealisation of women is a form of
> oppression.  Pure speculation, though, as I haven't read it.

No. The protagonist is an apparently sincere follower of a future
syncretic monotheistic ("Biblqur'an") religion in a Islamic style culture
with some segregation of the sexes.  Suizan is a "zealot" who assists
released criminals, and spends time unchaperoned with such low-life as the
narrator.

> [I've read _On_ and _Salt_ by Roberts.  _On_ was okay but a bit too
> consciously postmodern and clever.  I liked _Salt_ a lot, though.] -
> Gerry Quinn

I have bounced off a couple of his books, but generally enjoy his writing
(his blog has some snot-producingly funny reviews eg from his push to read
the _Wheel of Time_ straight through).

Cheers, David Duffy.