(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Dec 18 17:21:39 PST 2011

From: Lee Berman

> Amusingly, when I first started hearing the term "troll" on internet, in addition
> to the fairy tale reference, I thought of the fishing meaning of the word, as
> in "trolling for an argument".

That *is* the actual meaning of the word; the reference to fairy-tale trolls is a back formation.

> FWIW, your prediciton of the overwhelming need to
> have the "last word" did prove correct.

In his own mind, David has had the last word, even if it looks to the rest of us like “la-la-la, I can’t hear you”.  But someone has to, anyway.  Accusing someone else of having to have the last word is a cheap way to avoid conceding that one has been posting utter nonsense.

- Gerry Quinn