(urth) Change of Pace / Peace

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Fri Dec 16 14:27:35 PST 2011

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011, Antonin Scriabin wrote:

> I don't know if many of you watched the short-lived but well-executed HBO
> miniseries, *Carnivale*.

> Anyways, I noticed some parallels between it and *Peace*, during the
> portion in which a character in the book (I can't remember if it is the
> narrator himself or a story-within-a-story) apprentices with the man
> turning to stone.  The young man goes, for some reason, to visit a
> neighboring carnival, where he finds a mother-daughter "burlesque
> dancer" team (just like in the TV show) and a character named Scudder
> (the last name of the Avatar of good's father in the TV show).
> "Scudder" is far from a common name; I can't think the similarity is
> coincidental!

I didn't watch it (it looked like too much work ;)), but the Wikipedia
article is fairly extensive. It suggests, for example, that the cootch
family came into the story following research.  I would have thought
Bradbury's _Something Wicked This Way Comes_, _Dr Lao_, even _The Dreaming
Jewels_ might be other literary precedents.  And Nehemiah Scudder appears
in Heinlein's _If This Goes On_

"The First Prophet was Nehemiah Scudder, a backwoods preacher turned
President (elected in 2012)"

..that was my immediate thought when you mentioned the name Scudder.

Cheers, David Duffy.