(urth) Change of Pace / Peace

Larry Miller decanus1284 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 14:11:30 PST 2011

  The shows creator was Daniel Knauf who also writes comic books (or
did) and I wouldnt be surprised if he knew about Wolfes work.  Neil
Gaiman is always dropping Wolfes name in interviews.  BTW Ronald Moore
who developed the Battlestar Galactica remake also wrote for Carnivale
and has said he was an avid SF reader as a teen.  The only literary
influences I know that Knauf mentioned myself is Something Wicked This
Way Comes and the Grapes of Wrath.  If your interested in further
elaboration of Carnivales mythology search around online for the
"Pitch Document" which is a series bible of sorts.  Do you recall the
episode where Ben Hawkins is sent to clean out the baggage trailer?
Briefly shown on camera is a fetus in a liquid filled jar that opens
its eyes.  That always reminded me of the mandragora. That may also be
a nod to Wolfes work.