(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 07:41:37 PST 2011

"In other words, I think generic categories are necessary and useful. But
they're necessary and useful as *jumping off points*, not as conclusions
about a piece of work."

I second this, Craig.  I have gotten embroiled in many genre spats over
time, and bringing up writers like Wolfe, Lafferty, and Pynchon (three of
my favorites) always ends up showing you how thin the genre lines are.
Genre distinctions are useful, for example, when it comes to shelving books
in a bookstore, or recommending something to a friend ("if you like X
books, try Y or Z!"), or tracking down the history of a fictional idea.  As
a way of classifying, hard and fast, however, it isn't as useful.  Like
most things, if you analyze a book and its supposed genre long enough, you
see the walls break down.  The book itself is never going to be "contained"
by genre terms; genre terms are simply broad generalizations that have been
extracted from specific and infinitely variable instances of fiction to
suit some convenience (shelving, etc.).