(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 07:44:21 PST 2011

If it's not already clear, I'm an experiential sort of reader.  For me, the
'problem' with reading Long Sun *after* I had already read OBW was that, to
use one example, I had already had the wonder-sensation of running into a
uniquely drawn intelligent robot character like Maytera Marble and so that
initial aesthetic pleasure and strangeness were *behind* me when I
encountered her being first introduced by Wolfe in his own canonical
unfolding of the story.  That's just really disappointing as a reader.  It
gave a certain 'worn-ness' to Long Sun that *shouldn't* be there.  Your
intuition about multiple readings is probably right in that I will no doubt
lose sight of that initial disappointment with enough subsequent readings.
But it did make an important difference in the reading experience and thus
it seems to me one's overall personal reading history with Wolfe *could* be
better or worse, based on what order one reads his books in.  There are
probably better and worse pathways to the 'best' (second and beyond)
readings.  (And I still wonder if these very pathways will always colour
the later readings.)

-DOJP