(urth) Severa

andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 4 16:24:27 PST 2011

David Stockhoff wrote:

> IT'S NOT A "TWIN'S NAME."

Not a twin's name specifically, but, as we are told by Ava, a
brother-sister name. I take that to be the principal reason for thinking
that Severian has a sister in the first place. (In this case it presumably
does signify twinhood. If the torturers chose it, they would have no reason
to choose a brother-sister name unless the sister was right there. If
Catherine did, since she had been separated from her lover and was unlikely
to meet him again, she wouldn't be planning for more children at that
moment)