(urth) Severa

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Dec 4 06:10:27 PST 2011

From: António Pedro Marques

> No dia 04/12/2011, às 01:42, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> escreveu:

> > Antonio's question raises another point from that intended---who named Severian?

> Ahem. Though not explicit, that was the point intended (the other point would hardly
> have been worth raising).
I’m not sure it matters – surely the main question is whether the name does imply a twin?  Certainly the book seems to be suggesting that a twin sister exists somewhere.  With regard to this question, it doesn’t really matter if the torturers pick names, or defer to the client’s wishes.
There is a possibility that occurs to me – the torturers name the boy and the witches name the girl.  Might the torturers have given a twin’s name to the boy, then handed over the girl to the witches, who gave her a standard name?  It would explain Merryn’s name, but it seems a slightly convoluted explanation.
- Gerry Quinn