(urth) Father Inire

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sat Dec 3 06:49:11 PST 2011

From: Lee Berman

> Then there is Agia. There are a couple converging lines of evidence that
> she is Severian's cousin.

What evidence?

> > Gerry Quinn: Jolenta is a waitress not a witch.

> Jolenta is an actress. We don't know her name when she was a waitress. The
> thin girl with straggling hair had only been a waitress for about a month
> and she recognizes Severian as a carnifex. Is there any evidence she had
> not previously been a witch but left her guild in symmetry with Severian's
> story? If not she is a viable candidate for Severa.

The waitress wasn’t an actress (two statements of hers indicate it) and there’s no indication that she hadn’t worked elsewhere as a waitress before her current employment.  However, I think you have inadvertently hit on something that indicates she was never a witch.

Palaemon: “Nowhere but in Nessus - nowhere but here in the Citadel - is there a chapter of our guild. Lesser places have no more than a carnifex.”

Severian is still wearing what he wore as a journeyman of the Torturers Guild.  A witch would recognise him as a torturer.  Jolenta calls him a carnifex, the name used for an executioner/torturer everywhere else.

- Gerry Quinn