(urth) Witche

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Dec 3 06:23:23 PST 2011

On 12/3/2011 8:11 AM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> David Stockhoff: It occurred to me that the Witches' patron saint might
>> shed light on them....(1) Mag/Maggie/Margaret is one of the Three Holy Maids
>

> Great research and insight David!

Hardly! We should all have the Saints website bookmarked by now....

> The "Three Maids" remind me of the three maids
>
> in Dr. Talos' play. Aside from beheading, I wonder if there is further connection
>
> to Lybe, Solange and Kyneburga.

The number 3 is symmetrical, echoing the Three Maids, but otherwise, to
me, they mostly seem to reinforce the "beheaded virgin martyrs" motif.
Katherines is at the center of this but I wonder if there is some
additional symbolic significance to beheading.

>> (2) Saint Margaret is the patron of women in childbirth because she
>> prayed at her death that women in childbirth would, upon calling on her,
>> be safely delivered of the child as she had been delivered from the
>> belly of the dragon.
>

> My ears are going to perk up to dragon references- Typhon, mandragora, etc.
>
> Moreover, connecting saints and witches somehow brings the Pelerines to mind.
>
> There are some textual clues suggesting these two women's groups are associated.
>

>> Has anyone considered Valeria as a candidate to be the beautiful maid
>> who is beheaded annually at the Feast of St Katherine? This would
>> require that Severian suppress any recognition of her
>

> Valeria is Severian's age while the Holy Katharine maid is older. Also the maid
>
> has an olive or darker complection while Valeria's is "strawberries and cream" iirc.
>
> Still, Valeria's face and the maid's (and her possible clones) face are alike in
>
> that Severian repeatedly reports that they "tear at my heart". I've heard theories
>
> of Valeria being Catherine's daughter and others suggesting she is Catherine's mother
>
> with time travel stuff going on. I'm not sure. But I think there is a connection.

Right, they are different "colors."

Valeria bothers me. She plays almost zero role in the story and then he
marries her. There's a fairy-tale symmetry there, but she's another
absence, like Inire.