(urth) Witches

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 2 12:33:01 PST 2011

It occurred to me that the Witches' patron saint might shed light on
them. It's a stretch, because such connections usually serve to confirm
a theory rather than suggest a new one, but here goes (from the Wiki and
Catholic Saints Index).

(1) Mag/Maggie/Margaret is one of the Three Holy Maids who are the most
important of the 14 Holy Helpers, all virgin martyrs. All three appear
in BNS: Barbara, who lived in a tower, is the patroness of
matrosses/artillerymen, Mag is the saint of the witches, and we know
about Katherine. All three are spurious saints with fantastic
backstories. All were beheaded. I'm pretty sure BNS began as an
abandoned short story about Katherine (as detailed elsewhere by others),
so it makes sense that Wolfe put these three at the center of BNS.

Other important beheaded virgin martyrs are Valeria of Limoges
(beheaded), Agnes (beheaded), and Lucy (blinded before executed). All
their stories have fantastic elements.

/Sankt Margaretha mit dem Wurm,/
/Sankt Barbara mit dem Turm,/
/Sankt Catharina mit dem Radl,/
/das sind die heiligen drei Madl./^[2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Holy_Helpers#cite_note-1>

/Saint Margaret with the dragon
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_dragon>/
/Saint Barbara with the tower/
/Saint Catherine with the wheel/
/those are the three holy maids.
/

(2) Saint Margaret is the patron of women in childbirth because she
prayed at her death that women in childbirth would, upon calling on her,
be safely delivered of the child as she had been delivered from the
belly of the dragon.

[The witches get all girls who are delivered by women to be tortured.]

(3) Margaret was born in Antioch, the daughter of a pagan priest named
Aedesius. Antioch was a Roman province under the rule of the Roman
Emperor Diocletian (r.284-305). Emperor Diocletian mounted some of the
fiercest persecutions of the early Church especially in the East of the
Empire. Margaret converted to the Christian faith and became a devout
Christian and had taken vows of chastity. The Governor of Antioch had
Margaret arrested and she was thrown into a dungeon. According to legend
whilst she was in the dungeon, the devil came and tempted her in the
form of a dragon, but as she made the sign of the Cross the dragon at
first fled. He then returned and swallowed her up but she was able to
burst out. When Margaret was led out to be beheaded, she thanked God
that the end of her travail had come, and prayed that in memory of her
miraculous deliverance out of the womb of the dragon, women in labour
who invoked her might find help through her sufferings.

(4) Saint Margaret is represented in Christian art with a dragon at her
feet, with the end of a cross thrust between his teeth. The garland of
pearls generally worn round her neck is in allusion to her name, which
among Oriental nations signifies a pearl.

[The Cumaean, who appears as a snake to Severian, swallows a rod that
appears to extend into other dimensions or into time. She is thus linked
with Satan, but I don't argue that this should be taken literally.]

(5) Her historical existence has been questioned; she was declared
apocryphal by Pope Gelasius I in 494, but devotion to her revived in the
West with the Crusades. ....

(6) The Eastern Orthodox Church knows Margaret as Saint Marina, and
celebrates her feast day on July 17. She has been identified with Saint
Pelagia – "Marina" being the Latin equivalent of the Greek name
"Pelagia" – who, according to a legend, was also called Margarita. We
possess no historical documents on St Margaret as distinct from St
Pelagia. The Greek Marina came from Antioch, Pisidia (as opposed to
Antioch of Syria), but this distinction was lost in the West.

[Any associations with the sea are worth noting....]

(7) An attempt has been made, but without success, to prove that the
group of legends with which that of Saint Margaret is connected is
derived from a transformation of the pagan divinity Aphrodite into a
Christian saint. The problem of her identity is a purely literary question.

[Any associations with classical gods are worth noting as well.]

Has anyone considered Valeria as a candidate to be the beautiful maid
who is beheaded annually at the Feast of St Katherine? This would
require that Severian suppress any recognition of her, but then we
already know he suppressed any conscious desire to see her again, let
alone marry her, through four books.