(urth) Father Inire

Larry Miller decanus1284 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 10:40:22 PST 2011

Im gonna have to agree with Lee.  Id say that Jolenta a better
candidate for Severa than any other female character in the book.  Yes
the fact that we never know her real name is a clue that Wolfe is
hiding something.  Every other significant character is named.  I cant
recall the injury but I know there is a point where Jolenta is unable
to walk and has to be carried by Severian echoing Severians later
lameness.  I think its also important that Jolenta along with Dorcas
acts in the play (where Severians mother is a character no doubt).
Yeah the incest thing may be irrelevant but take into account that
Wolfe hints that Jolenta and Dorcas may have also had a sexual
relationship.  Dorcas sleeping with both her grandchildren is a kind
of symmetry found elsewhere in the book.