(urth) Father Inire

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Tue Dec 27 08:05:44 PST 2011

Why would one sit on a "step" ladder, let alone do so while actively cleaning a painting?

To me: 1. Rudesind is standing on a step ladder; and 2. Severian thinking he at first sees a man sitting on a high stool (I'm envisioning a bar stool) implies that (combined with the monkey like long arms and the way he "scrambles") that Rudesind is gangly and short indeed.

And not at all like the more exultant seeming (even in name) Master Ultan. Ultan seemed more like Severian's grandfather while Rudesind seemed like Inire's brother.

One represents a stunted commoner while the other represents a weathered person of import. At least to me.

But what of Cyby!?!?

:)

...ryan