(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Fri Dec 23 09:09:22 PST 2011

You should not trust so much journalists, even scientific. Once I've
seen a picture of a sort of orange solar disk
and a smaller black disk crossing it - with the title "an exoplanet
photographed. This was rubbish, because
no telescope is powerful enough to make a star (except our Sun) visible
as a disk, not to speak about
an exoplanet. It was just a reconstruction (star is dimmer when the
planet passes before it). And when they
write "a photo of an electron" - what is it? The trace of some process
on photographic film, usually
with many intermediate steps and a lot of mathematical formulas and
nuclear physics to convince
you that it is related to an electron. Like they photograph flashes of
light in big tank of pure water
underground and they say that they photograph neitrinos (and you have to
believe).

regards

Sergei Soloviev