(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Fri Dec 23 08:19:28 PST 2011

Actually it is much more impressive. The "IBM" photo created by using a
scanning tunneling electron microscope to move xenon atoms around on a
metal substrate is about 30 years old. A xenon atom is on the order of
100 picometres (10 ^ -12 metres) in size (I don't know the number
exactly). An electron is at least 1000 and possibly even 1,000,000 times
smaller. In fact, there is really no reason to believe electrons have
any sort of small hard point-mass type existence at all. If they do it
is smaller than 10 ^ -18 metres.

So, imaging an electron is a significantly harder thing than imaging an
array of xenon atoms.

As to the second point, Plato's Cave is an old and well-worn thing.
Everything we see is "enhanced" so that the human brain can construct an
image. This happens in the eyes first, and continues in the visual
cortex. Does anyone on the list doubt the reality of telescopic images
because they have been "enhanced"?

To get back to the topic of Wolfe, he is clearly an engineer (and
"scientist" in the lay sense) who also happens to believe in God (though
in a heretical way, or so he says). Some on the list seem to be arguing
that science is useless or on a par with religious belief in terms of
provability. I doubt Wolfe would agree. Science is provable, religion is
all about faith: believing the unprovable. In tBotLS, Silk repeatedly
wrestles with the idea that his enlightenment might have been a brain
aneurysm rather than a true revelation. He ultimately decides that it
doesn't matter.

Dave Lebling