(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Dec 21 11:48:58 PST 2011

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:12 PM
To: The Urth Mailing List
Subject: Re: (urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

Gerry Quinn wrote:

> >> And yet Mucor's powers turn out to have a great deal to do with the soul.

> >> Magic.

> > Why?

> Because Wolfe is not such a fool as to offer a scientific (or
> psientific -- which can also mean "pseudo-scientific") explanation for
> the soul.
What powers of Mucor are you saying are magic?  The Whorl gods’ possession of people is explicitly glossed as technology rather than magic, and that surely also involves the soul.  Do chems have souls?  One imagines so, and Mucor doesn’t mistake Quetzal for one.  Yet their soul presumably starts off as a computer program.
I don’t think souls are magic in Long Sun / Short Sun.
- Gerry Quinn