(urth) Agia's Weapons

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 11:44:57 PST 2011

Lee Berman wrote:

> But Gene Wolfe has read the Bible and has had to figure out why Noah's
> Flood, which provided such a painful, unpleasant death to so many
> people (and innocent animals) was necessary. The Christian definition
> of evil is separation from God, yes?

No. The definition of evil is rejection of God or deliberate
disobedience of His will. This _causes_ separation from God, which is
the definition of damnation.

> I disagree. The view of "evil is a choice" is a humanistic view. We need to think
> that to inspire us to make good choices. But God (in the true Christian sense)
> cannot have any choices. Anything He does is the ultimate in good. No selection
> A or selection B for Him.

And yet the Catholic church teaches that God is completely free --
free, for example, to create or not to create. The Creation was not
necessary for God to be God.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes