(urth) Agia's Weapons

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 16:34:51 PST 2011

> From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com
>> Jerry Friedman:
>> Okay, I suppose it's time to ask this question--not just of you, Lee.
> As I recall
>> (I'm AWB), the aquastor of Malrubius tells Severian that "powers
> above the stage"
>> are managing his life.  When do we know who does that and why?  For
> instance, is the
>> resurrection of Dorcas an example?  If so, who is or are responsible, and
> how do they
>> manage it, and how does it serve their purposes to have him resurrect his
> grandmother
>> or to have a relationship with her?  The same questions apply to the
> examples above
>> and every other incident that Father Inire or any other manipulator is
> supposed to be
>> responsible for.

> I think that is certainly a great mystery with no obvious answers provides.
> Peter Wright
> (in Attending Daedalus) suggests that Severian's life is all a big,
> deceptive manipulation
> by the Hiero-types- an alien race who are simply trying to propagate themselves.

Does he ever get specific about any examples of manipulation, beside the obvious ones (direct appearances of BF&O, the aquastors, and the Yesodim)?  I looked at his chapter on "The toy Theater" on Google Books, and didn't see anything.

> I see it in more mythological-religious terms.  The powers in the oceans (Abaia,
> Erebus and
> the other 15) and their agents are analogs to pagan gods/fallen angels. They
> know there are
> higher powers in "the heavens" from whence they came, but they are
> attempting (like mythical
> gods/demons) to establish their own little fiefdom on Urth.
>
> They are manipulating Severian because they know he is the "chosen
> one" for the heavenly Hiero-
> types and they hope to wrest the secret of his divine powers (healing and
> resurrection) before
> he becomes aware of who and what he is. So many of the adventures Severian in
> maneuvered into
> involve resurrection of dead people, in some manner.

Yes, but can we even tell which ones he's maneuvered into and which ones he isn't?

> I think it first starts (chronologically)
> with the Concilliator and the Ceryx/Zama episode. But, of course, no matter what
> the demonic
> types do, it all serves the Increate's Plan in ways even they don't
> understand.

But how does it serve their plan?  They're putting corpses in Severian's way, in various circumstances, and standing by to observe somehow, whether he knows it or not?

> What is AWB? I did a search and got possibilities ranging from Average White
> Band to Asian
> Wetland Bureau and Accupuncturists Without Borders.

"AFB" (away from books), presumably with the W from "away" replacing the F.  Sorry.

Jerry Friedman