(urth) Agia's Weapons

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 08:44:27 PST 2011

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote (20-12-2011 16:28):
> Gerry Quinn wrote:
>
>> However, I suspect Wolfe does not exclude the possibility of a continuing
>> Revelation – i.e. that in some future, Christ might also be superseded, or
>> that the Trinity might expand beyond three persons, or that an alien
>> equivalent of Christ be incarnated.  That is to say, I don’t think he would
>> consider the doctrines of Rome to be set in stone for eternity.
>
> Depends on which doctrines you mean. Those defined infallibly, are set
> in stone for eternity. As for the rest ... well, the Church, on the
> one hand, says that the time of public revelation ended with the
> closing of Scripture, but allows for a kind of private revelation in
> prayer; yet at the same time it allows for a kind of public revelation
> _through the Church_, through the "development of doctrine" and the
> teaching authority (_Magisterium_) of the Church.
>
> It's complicated...

Nothing is set in stone for eternity. God can revoke it at any moment.
What's guaranteed is that the Church is _right_ in teaching what it teaches.
There's a difference. Though, yes, matters of Dogma aren't supposed to
change, ever, mostly because they relate to things which have happened in
the past, or happen continually  - but those are very few, only a very small
part of what the Church teaches.
The Trinity, of course, is Dogma. But not the nature of the downfall of
pagan gods.