(urth) Agia's Weapons

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 12:07:49 PST 2011

Ok here's the passage.  Severian is speaking I believe (chapter XXI in
SotL):

"What I was going to tell you was that the existence of that relic seems to
have given some people the idea that the Conciliator used claws as weapons.
 I have sometimes doubted that he existed; but if such a person ever lived,
I'm sure that he used his weapons largely against himself.  Do you
understand what I am saying?"

I doubt that he did, but he nodded.

"When we were on the path, we found a charm against the coming of the New
Sun.  The three-colored men, who I think are the ones who have passed this
test, use claws of steel.  I think they must want to hold back the coming
of the New sun so they can take his place and perhaps usurp his powers.  If
- "

Outside, someone screamed.   [The chapter ends here.]

I would be inclined to treat this passage as an interpretive key to the
whole question of weapons in BotNS.  For example, self-sacrificial
weapons/claws bring in the New Sun.  Weapons/claws of steel resist the
coming of the New Sun, seek to replace him.

-DOJP