(urth) instant new fan

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 10:36:20 PST 2011

Yeah, that part's brilliant, Dan'l.

Oh and now I remember the line well into SotT (Chapter XVI 'The Rag Shop')
that really awoke me to the fact I was reading a great writer:

'If there are layers of reality beneath the reality we see, even as there
are layers of history beneath the ground we walk upon, then in one of those
more profound realities, Dr. Talos's face was a fox's mask on a wall, and I
marveled to see it turn and bend now toward the woman, achieving by those
motions, which made expression and thought appear to lay across it with the
shadows of the nose and brows, an amazing and realistic appearance of
vivacity.  "Would you refuse it?" he asked again, and I shook myself as
though waking.'

I remember physically shuddering at the moment of the fox mask bending
toward the woman.  I immediately had my wife, who happened to be sitting
next to me, read the paragraph and she felt the same.

-DOJP