(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Dec 17 17:50:49 PST 2011

On 12/17/2011 8:04 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>

> (You can
> are two
> > > various
> > > Therefore
> is like
> > > At the cost of having to assume Severian’s power is something
> > > considerably different and weaker than what we thought – i.e. when he
> > > resurrects someone it was because she was set up to be ‘resurrected’.
>
> > You must read every other sentence, like a half-blind character out of
> > Borges. How did you miss when I said that's NOT what happened???
> Sure, but you seem to be saying that it IS what happened too. If
> you’re not, what’s the point in your fix? What exactly is the status
> of this “other narrative” you mention, and what are Severian’s powers
> like in it?

Yes, it IS what happened "too." The first read/surface story is that
Dorcas was never dead and Severian has no powers (but may have the role
of a fairy-tale hero to whom lucky things like this happen). The second
read/understory is that Dorcas was dead and Severian raised her.

As has been said a million times, BNS draws from and subverts dozens of
genres and narrative modes. Identifying those is part of the analysis.
To some degree they cloak (as in "hide" but also "dress up") the
understory. But they also tell us what's being subverted and thus a clue
as to why. It's not a question of "if Dorcas is Sleeping Beauty, then
who's the witch"? There is no poisoned apple. But if there is a witch,
it's Severian.

But he is still a "lucky Fool" to whom things happen---otherwise, how to
swallow the coincidence that his first Lazarus is his hot grandmother?