(urth) (no subject)

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Dec 16 13:49:33 PST 2011

From: Lee Berman

> Gerry Quinn:
> > What does a purported correspondence between Dorcas and the
> >Sleeping Beauty tell us, or add to the story?  Dorcas was under no enchantment,
> >Severian did not set out to find her, there was no wall of briars..All I’m saying
> >is that if you want to make a viable case for fairy tales, you need to do more than
> >say there is a girl in the story who was dead, which is a bit like being under an
> >enchanted sleep, and she looked okay, and therefore it’s about the Sleeping Beauty.

> Gerry you are inventing straw men to knock down again.  Nobody has said Doras is "about"
> Briar Rose, the Sleeping Beauty. The suggestion was simply and broadly that BotNS has
> included elements of fairy tales and S & S stories in it. No "briars" are needed to
> make that assertion.

But Valeria and Typhon have elements of Sleeping Beauty too, if you want to define ‘elements’ so loosely.  This is a point I feel the need to make repeatedly:  if someone’s criteria for rejecting hypotheses are so flaccid as to be non-existent, that person’s hypotheses will be worth nothing.

- Gerry Quinn