(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Dec 16 13:05:46 PST 2011

From: David Stockhoff

On 12/16/2011 3:31 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* David Stockhoff mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net

> > You’ve accused me of illiteracy twice recently, if I recall correct.
> > On both occasions, you were attempting to make far-fetched
> > correspondences between fairy lore and elements of the Solar Cycle
> > (which in fact uses fairy lore less than most Wolfe). When I refused
> > to discuss the Neighbours as if they were literally fairies (because
> > they are different
> > from them in numerous ways), you accused me of illiteracy.
> > And today, you claimed that the House Absolute is a fairy palace, and
> > accused me of illiteracy when I demurred.
> > On neither occasion were you able to elaborate your contentions into
> > anything meaningful. Hence, I suppose, the descent into insults.

> No. I was simply pointing out that you seem to know nothing about
> Faerie, being unable to recognize it when it appears, but feel free to
> behave as though you do, and yet also to abuse anyone who brings it up
> in discussing Wolfe.
I have never abused anyone for bringing it up (it must require a hard neck for you to accuse me of abuse in this thread).  What I have done is asked you to be specific with regard to what you are arguing.  In the case of the Neighbours, for example, in the context of what a Neighbour whose consciousness had entered that of a man would notice as odd, you demanded that I answer in terms not of Neighbour characteristics, but in terms of fairy lore.  The absurdity of this can be pointed up by considering the question of whether he would miss his wings.
Or how about his underground life?  Because *today*, of course, it seems that fairies live underground, in accordance with your ill-thought out argument du jour.  Do the Neighbours live underground?  If not, where does that leave your argument on that occasion?  Wingless and buried, it would seem.
Your accusation of illiteracy is a transparent device to divert the discussion from the works of Gene Wolfe, into some nebulous body of extra-textual material which need never be defined.
- Gerry Quinn