(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 16 11:58:53 PST 2011

On 12/16/2011 2:48 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
>> Andrew Mason: West is certainly a good direction. North less so - in the first age
>> material the North is the seat of evil (and it's not Tolkien's fault that wasn't published
>> first). By the time of LOTR the region has been devastated.
> Good observation, Andrew! Yes, the Silmarillion is quite clear about the history of the North.
> Some have likened Sauron as allegory to the Germans (both WWI and II I guess). Is it possible
> the Silmarillion stuff was inspired in part by the devastation of the Norse barbarians to the
> British Isles? They did more damage there than the Germans ever did. (okay, 'fess up. Who here
> is a red head ;- ))

I discount any connection of LOTR to WW2, but it simply is not possible
to ignore the direct impact of WW1 on English literature. And since the
devastation visited upon northern France in that war was probably much
worse---visibly, at least, as well as in casualties over a small
area---than any other devastation aside from that of Stalingrad, the
nuked Japanese cities, and endgame Nazi Germany itself, I think that is
sufficient to inspire visions of Thangorodrim!

The Hobbit, OTOH, goes no further than the "satanic mills" of the
goblins. Very Victorian and MacDonaldian.