(urth) Wolfe Vindicated Again!

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:49:00 PST 2011

Jeff Wilson wrote (16-12-2011 17:33):
> On 12/16/2011 10:51 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
>> Jeff Wilson wrote (16-12-2011 16:43):

>>> However, it is possible for an educated person to stay abreast of general
>>> established science, available popular science literature, and the
>>> abstracts
>>> of past and new developments in their fields of interest. I would hope
>>> that
>>> the science relevant to a science fiction story they plan to sell would
>>> count as within those fields of interest.
>>
>> Which is different from being an expert in those fields, able to come up
>> with ideas the researchers themselves aren't.
>
> I don;t follow you here.

You don't? Some people think that not only an sf writer has to know
everything there is to know about the plausibility of time travel and green
men, but also be able to explain to an unlimited degree of precision how
those things are to come about.

>>> Star visibility isn't astrophysics, it's just plain physics. We have very
>>> well worked out distances and apparent vs absolute magnitudes of nearby
>>> stars and have had for over a century now. This of course does not
>>> restrict
>>> a writer of fiction, but a writer of believable science fiction needs to
>>> have a bit more care with its inherent appeal to the authority of science
>>> for suspending disbelief and at least suggest by implication a reason for
>>> deviating from science as the astute reader is likely to know it.
>>
>> I'll have to disagree here, both on the existence of an appeal and the
>> restrictions imposed by current knowledge.
>
> Scienceless science fiction? Good luck with that.

What's 'scienceless science fiction' got to do with what I wrote?
What appeal to the authority of science to suspend disbelief is there in the
narrator's assessment of the position of the Red Sun in his night sky?
With daily news about galaxies that look older than possible, neutrinos that
may or may not travel ftl and 'habitable' planets 600ly away which nobody
had seen before, what's a red dot in the sky?

>> Otoh, there are cryptic
>> references to 'far away' worlds, and reasonable evidence that the
>> narrator may not be interpreting facts correctly, so there.
>
> An unreliable narrator is a start, but he has to be shown to be unreliable
> in certain ways that allow the deviation but not in others, lest the story
> lose coherence entirely and dissolve into aimles fabulation.
>
> How can you have science fiction without authoritative science?

What's authoritative science? Where is it in sf?