(urth) Wolfe Vindicated Again!

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 07:53:25 PST 2011

I think I should say what I think regarding GW's science (and history and
mythology).

Some apparently believe GW to be some sort of expert physicist and biologist
(and historian, and mythographer), who cannot make any mistakes or ignore
any facts. That's obviously untenable. NOBODY can know everything Mankind
knows today, and never make mistakes, and even if one could, Mankind itself
has not progressed that far in its knowledge that such a person would never
err. To believe that current knowledge is unshakeable and its progress will
be merely gradual from now on is recentist. It really is the same as all
those data tapes in early sf. Now, what people don't usually realise is that
so-called hard sf is itself a matter of abundant data tapes. Then there's
the opposite - people who consider that since current knowledge is never
complete, then anything goes when devising their sceneries.

I don't think GW falls into either trap. For one thing, his stories are sf
because sf frees him to do what a 'naturalist(ic)' framework wouldn't allow.
Otherwise, they might do without the sf element. Yes, sometimes he is
interested in exploring the real-sf possibilities of sf (as opposed to just
the freedom from 'naturalism'), but that's not imo a very significant part
of his work. Now, how does he cope with the problem of recentism vs
absurdism? Quite well, I think - he does what he thinks can be reasonably
defended. He doesn't try to make it defensible, nor offer tedious
explanations for it; he just avoids that which would be awkward to defend.
So if he wants an item that current knowledge has no way of producing, what
he has to look into is whether it _is_ possible that a breakthrough in the
understanding of the Universe will make it achievable. If so, why not use
it? (Conversely, Ray Cummings's _Insect Invasion_ or tGitGA, while
interesting, are simply too difficult to defend - but then RC's objectives
were different from GW's.)

GW doesn't mean to teach science or history. He uses them carefully in
building his world(s). He takes care not to do anything with them that can
be absolutely invalidated. For instance, the Sun's visibility from Blue may
or may not agree with current astrophysics, but our knowledge of
astrophysics is not only seriously in its infancy, but the only way it will
progress significantly is if most of it is wrong [and we come to be able to
observe more of the Universe than it allows us today].

As to what hard sf really should be, I think some of AC Clarke is a good
example - and it has nothing to do with projecting current knowledge and
technology. It's rather having stories driven (at least in part, of course)
by the logical outcome of actions and starting conditions, as understood by
a science that may or may not be our own but is consistent. RVwM is a good
example of this, imo, if one excepts the part about the 3-limbed aliens
(which however was integral to the story, but I think the book would be
better if the episode had been left out - the implication was there anyway,
and one might think of better alternatives than the one presented).