(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Dec 15 11:23:32 PST 2011

From: Lee Berman

> Gerry Quinn: Certainly there are fairy-tale elements.  But we are also
> > left in no doubt about the deep-future background against which these tropes
> > must be interpreted.  The logic of fairy-tales will be of limited application.

> The "limited application" is all in your head. There is probably an anti-Gerry somewhere
> who thinks the futuristic science aspects of the story are of "limited application".
> Regardless of personal bias, the fact remains that both elements are intrinsic and
> essential aspects of the book. There is no basis for diminishing either of them
> except for an individual reader's likes and dislikes.

You said: “a sword, a giant, a sleeping beauty, magic, palaces”.  But none of those are really much like their fairy-tale counterparts.  The sword has no magic powers.  Baldanders, fair enough, Severian even fights him in his castle, though not for gold.  Dorcas isn’t really a sleeping beauty – we don’t know she was dead until she is already leaving the narrative.  Magic is tech.  Palaces... the House Absolute is underground.

What we have learned of these things from fairy-tales doesn’t really help us here.  They don’t mirror their fairy-tale counterparts.  BotNS really isn’t a fairy-tale in any strong sense.  Or so it seems to me.

Conversely, understanding magic as technology does help us see what’s going on.

- Gerry Quinn