(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 07:17:19 PST 2011

I convinced a friend of mine to read it, and he's not at all a genre/sf/fantasy guy. But his overall reaction was that many of the sections seemed like they were intentionally recalling and then undercutting his idea of genre "stereotypes": the early part in the Tower seemed like it was undercutting "gothic" fiction, once he leaves, it seemed like adventure stories (he'd read John Carter as a kid and said it reminded him of that). And on and on: ghost stories, haunted houses, American Indian tales, etc. I think there's something to that.

It strikes me as similar to the way Nick Gevers looks at Long Sun (with, admittedly, more sophisticated consequences). Each novel takes a kind of genre and plays with it: the first book plays off of detective stories, the second does spy thrillers, the 3rd does military/war story, and the fourth plays off of utopian fiction.

But all of the Sun books are incredibly self-conscious about their generic choices. I think it's less convincing to ever say that it simply IS really sf or fantasy or science-fantasy than it is to say that one of the series' main themes is using and breaking generic codes for extra-generic purposes.

After all, the first excitement that most people get is when they realize that it *looks* like fantasy, but it's something else. The tower isn't a medieval-esque castle but a rocket ship, etc. It's not the ultimate classification that's important, but the trick of disrupting expectations.