(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 06:24:17 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com> wrote:

>  *From:* António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
>
> > Curious bit here: I've never got the 's&s' feeling from any of the Sun
> > books, not even NS.
>
> Same here.  If you’ve read Vance (say) beforehand, you’ll know what’s
> going on (of course in _The Dying Earth_ magic did rather dominate tech,
> but at the same time the environment is recognisable).  And Wolfe tells us
> very quickly anyway in the graveyard scene, where “there was a a shot” and
> we are instantly informed that Vodalus is using some kind of energy pistol.
>
> It’s not really about the tech versus magic thing anyway, so much as the
> foregrounding of a way of thinking about the world.  Vance’s magic is a
> kind of technology, even in Lyonesse.  Conversely, Moorcock can go on all
> he wants about power rings or whatever, but he’s still writing swords and
> sorcery.
>
> I guess Wolfe might leave an option for the Increate or his chief minions
> to interfere with the physical underpinnings of the world – but for all
> lesser beings at least, magic is a name for technologies we don;t
> understand.  The Cumaean says as much.
>
> - Gerry Quinn

Yeah, I saw right away it was 'science fantasy', but the sword, cloak, long
journeys on foot, healings (and other 'miracles' I doubt are reducible to
'technologies we don't understand'), monsters (even though you eventually
realise they're aliens), etc. all give a SnS *feel* I think.  Surely others
have thought this?  I thought it was kind of obvious, given, and sort of
celebrated.  Hm.

-DOJP