(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 05:32:42 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I read The book of the new sun in the fourth grade and really liked it,
> but I would definitely have listed, say, something easier like Zelazny as
> my favorite at the time, but when I re-read it in the seventh grade I saw
> the beautiful beautiful structure of so many things, the mythic resonance.
> But I was raised so very very Catholic that even in the fourth grade I saw
> Severian as a cool torturing kind of end times Jesus with a big sword,
> relaxed "destruction based" eschatological morals and uninhibited
> sexuality.  I used to draw pictures of him on my textbooks in school, sword
> raised and the sun highlighting it so that its shadow was a cross.
> Probably get in big trouble for those drawings nowadays.  Didn't read the
> rest of Wolfe until a few years after that.  It is definitely the  perfect
> book of my childhood, though.

Precocious!  I was reading Hobbit and LOTR during those years.  Didn't
discover Wolfe until my late twenties.  I would've LOVED New Sun,
especially Severian, in my childhood and adolescence.  I was greatly
enamoured of tough guys with legendary swords.  I wish I'd discovered it
shortly after LOTR instead of being sidetracked by (*cringes to admit it!*)
the interminable world of Dragonlance (of which I can now remember
*nothing* but a pair of twins, one a wizard and one a warrior).

-DOJP