(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 05:32:05 PST 2011

Daniel Petersen wrote (14-12-2011 12:57):
> /2011/12/14 António Pedro Marques:/
> /Well, I don't really think there is a Correct Way to read GW, of course.
> Everyone's experience will be different and rich in its own way.
> But since you've mentioned it, I think tFHoC should come after the Sun books
> - I read it before and somewhat regret that - as it is a difficult work imo,
> having the GW complexity in almost its pure state. I have yet to read a lot
> of GW, but my impression is that tFHoC is the one book in which there is no
> 'simple' reading to find solace in while you're not yet able to get the rest.
> /
>
> Ah, well, here we do get into interesting reader-specific territory.  I did
> indeed read Fifth Head after the solar cycle, so I can't say for sure how I
> would have perceived it if I'd read it before that.  Still, I suspect it
> would have been a very good starting-point for me in the GW realm for these
> reader-specific reasons:
> 1) I generally like traditional SF settings more than heroic fantasy
> settings (i.e. the futuristic planetary romance of FHoC vs. the prima
> facie sword and sorcery of BotNS).

Curious bit here: I've never got the 's&s' feeling from any of the Sun
books, not even NS. Nor do I get much futuristic sense from tFHoC (I do get
it from various of GW's short stories).

> 2) I was hooked by FHoC first and foremost for the (to me) gorgeous writing
> *style*, the exquisitely crafted syntax and prose itself.  It stands out
> starkly in a sea of 'good-but-not-great-ness'.
> 3) All I need is wonderful storytelling and setting and complexity of themes
> and I'm deeply happy without needing to 'solve' various material 'riddles'
> the text throws up - the more philosophical or thematic questions of
> identity and alienness and cultural anthropology that the book explores
> (sometimes even by its very *form* - i.e. the second novella written in a
> totally different mythical or folktale sort of style) just blow my mind and
> I really don't *ever* need to discover for sure who's who or what's what in
> that tale.
> For other readers I know that indeterminacy would be maddening.  I'm fairly
> sure if I'd read Fifth Head first, I would have been in awe of what was
> clearly a brilliant writer and would've started hunting down all his stuff.

I don't disagree with you - but imo you can't really read tFHoC without
being drowned in 'riddles'. They're just too many and everywhere and too
complex for me to abstract myself and just 'enjoy the tale'. It's not that I
want to 'solve' everything at every corner, rather the basic need to make
_some_ sense of the events being told forces me to solve more than I can.