(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 11:35:17 PST 2011

I'm half way through Soldier in the Mist, Larry.  Glad to finally get round
to this series that seems to be nearly as popular and central as the solar
cycle.  I shouldn't have started it yet, though, as I can only read it in
fairly separated snatches.  Because of its mellifluous nature (a
brilliantly achieved effect due to the narrator's constant memory loss), it
can lull you a bit.  I suspect it should be read as quickly as possible,
all in a weekend or a week or something.  There have been some wonderfully
magic moments, both action-y (just a few) and visionary (lots).  And just
when it seemed it was going to merely be an extended meander, it seems to
promise you might find out more about Latro's background and identity.

I'm not good (or always especially interested) in the puzzle-solving
Wolfe's books require (I prefer to explore the themes in a literary
criticism sort of way - it takes all sorts though), but it looks fairly
strong to me that Latro is a werewolf.  (What are that race called - starts
with an 'N'?  Or have I already gotten hopelessly mixed up in the puzzle
pieces.)

A cracking read all in, I think.  (*Excellent *characterisation
companion-piece to Severian.  Ingenious on that level.)

-DOJP