(urth) Severa

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Dec 4 12:38:56 PST 2011

From: David Stockhoff

> On 12/4/2011 10:24 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> > And probably not all Latinate names can be associated with saints of
> > both genders.

> Absolutely not---it's one reason why I think there _is_ something there.

> > > What's convoluted about it?

> > The explanation? Just that the torturers take the trouble to select a
> > twin’s name for the boy, but then say nothing to the witches.
> > [Assuming it’s a name indicative of a twin, obviously. Perhaps there’s
> > nothing there.]

> IT'S NOT A "TWIN'S NAME."

Surely the fact of it being one of the Latinate names that can be associated with saints of either gender makes it a twins’ name in BotNS?  Of course it doesn’t have to be restricted to twins, but it’s a natural possibility.

> And why would they talk to the witches at all, ever?

To say they have a baby girl for them.  And for whatever reason Severian was sent to the Witches Tower.  Damp-proofing in the cellars of nearby towers, who knows...

- Gerry Quinn