(urth) Father Inire

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 22:02:24 PST 2011

>Gerry Quinn: Ah, I hadn’t realised that.  I thought it was only known that

>he had been around a while, and served the Old Autarch. Where does it say he

>served all the Autarchs?

The statement about Father Inire's term comes from Rudesind in the meeting at

the House Absolute. Rudesind forgets the lines he was supposed to say, and

Severian asks him who had coached him. Rudesind says:

>"Why, Father Inire...Who do you suppose?  Senile.  That's what they say.

>Been vizier to I don't know how many autarchs since Ymar."

Without that bit of information I can see why it would be difficult to consider

Father Inire stretching back to Typhon's time or what his role might have been

during Typhon's rule. Thoughts about sorcerers and mandragoras also figure into

that particular equation.