(urth) Pike's ghost

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Dec 1 09:24:02 PST 2011

From: Lee Berman

> > Gerry Quinn: I don’t recall us being told anything much about Inire’s history,
> > one way or the other.

> I don't fault you for your lack of curiosity regarding this omission, Gerry.
> But perhaps you have enough empathy for the differences in thinking of others that
> you can see why others might wonder why left Inire's origins such a mystery and
> consider that there is a solution provided, though it isn't so obvious as to slap
> you on the face. Entonio, below, is an example of this alternate way of thinking
> which involves curiosity.

I merely state it as a fact: there are few if any indications that Inire is not who he appears to be.  The same applies to many other characters.  Wolfe rarely tells us more than he needs about the history of any character, so the absence of a detailed history is not in itself suspicious.  If there is some evidence, I would certainly not reject it out of hand.  I have not thus far seen any such plausible, evidence-based theory proposed.

> >I think everyone on the list can clearly see how nonsensical that claim is.
> >Why do you keep posting this kind of stuff?

> Because you like it and keep responding to it and I want to make you feel welcome and
> useful here.

Insisting on the truth of plainly ridiculous theories is worthless noise that debases the list.  You should be embarrassed about the issue of the painting, because it shows how poorly you have read and understood Wolfe, at least in this instance.  Those inclined to be interested in your other theories must surely have taken note.

> > > Entonio: Not to be the devil's advocate, but I think that is clearly the
> >  > default, simple, surface interpretation, which cries out loud for an
> >  > intricate alternative.

> In asking deeper questions regarding Typhon, Inire and Hethor you are indeed acting
> as devil's advocate on more than one level.

> > David Stockhoff: Or at least some development. One can certainly imagine variations on
> >"groom" and "support."

> Yes. In my view, Father Inire is more interested in Severian's powers of healing and
> resurrection than his bringing a New Sun. Ushas doesn't seem a particular friendly
> and welcoming place for Father Inire and his works, eh wot?

Fortunate then, perhaps, that there is little evidence that he lives to see it, or expects to.  But in any case, he could doubtless retire to the stars if he wished, his work done.

> Moreover the diabolical nature of the dark, nasty versions of resurrection and immortality
> we are exposed to in the story via Vodalus, Hildegren, The Cumaean, witches, Baldanders,
> the old Autarch, khaibits, the Old Leech and Ceryx all have threads of connection. Trace
> these back to the source and I think you'll find that all roads lead to (Roman named) Inire.

In your mind, everything leads to Inire.  Others will require evidence rather than bald assertion.

> Severian may not be a "Christ-figure" but it is hard to deny he has Christ-like powers. I
> think it makes sense for a Christian author to create a world in which pagan, gnostic
> sorts of deity-beings are covetous of such powers.

A Christian or non-Christian author might create many kinds of worlds.  It requires evidence to show that a given world created by a Christian author is one of them.

By all means, demonstrate how the secret history of Inire is described in the text.  I am sure we would all be very interested in such a demonstration.  So far, you haven’t provided one.

- Gerry Quinn