(urth) Book of the New Sun won the contest!

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 08:56:36 PDT 2011

1) Since this is a democratically selected list, you would probably have
to limit the voting to exclusively to women to hope that a woman author
would make the top 10. We're talking about authors whose work would
inspire someone in high school or early college--at an age when a writer
helps set the concrete of a reader's tastes. Stil, I wouldn't have been
surprised to see "Frankenstein" on this list. But the most successful
female authors among females in my experience are Rowling, Meyer, and
Lackey. None of which are going to make this list. I haven't read "The
Time Traveler's Wife". Is it as deserving of being on this list as "The
Name of the Wind"?

2) The big names are Feminist authors whose work simply feels dated now
(imagine a Pro-Suffrage SF writer).  LeGuin, Atwood, Yarboro...These are
all skilled writers but their Great Works are essentially museum pieces
to certain themes that were current in the 1970s. An exception IMO is
Joanna Russ, whose novels are still worthwhile for study by budding
writers -- but I'm not sure I'd call them pleasurable.

3) The woman authors whose work still carries today, do their best work
in short story format: Tiptree, Willis, and Nancy Kress (yeah! I said it!).