(urth) NPR Results

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 09:00:39 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Antonin Scriabin <kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I agree about the gulags!
>
> Anyways, this list is especially embarrassing since NPR listeners have a
> (vague) reputation for being intellectuals, and a cut above the typical
> reader.  Guess not.

As I recall, the thriller list from last year had writers like Stieg Larsson
and Dan Brown in or very near the top spots, when really they shouldn't be
within a thousand books of the top of the list.

The top ten-odd choices on the sf list aren't all fantastic (I wouldn't put
Hitchhiker's, Ender's Game, or GRRM there) and they reflect an unfamiliarity
with the field at large, but they're mostly good books. If nothing else, I
think the right book came in at number one.

-Matt