(urth) completed version - Donaldson, Moorcock etc

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Tue Aug 9 09:55:58 PDT 2011

Gerry Quinn wrote:

> [...]
Exactly! And look how Wolfe uses it. In his book it is part of
"historical lecture" by Gurloes, so,
it is a token of immense depth of time. It is woven into the subtle
fabrics of references
to our own time, like the photograph of lunar landing (or maybe its
painted copy) cleaned by
Rudesund, like the Pope's translation of Homer  used in Chrasmologic
writings and many
others. (Notice also that the machine breaks in the end of Kafka's
story, and Gurloes says
it does not work.) The meanings and references play beautifully.

And if we take Moorcock, the use is quite the opposite. He takes a rich
deep story and "flattens"
it to suit in some very straightforward way his purposes. So his
torturer is just a sadist, and he
borrows the image, using only the idea of extreme cruelty.

It comes to my mind to compare three torturers: Gurloes (complex man who
tries to look
simple brute) - by Wolfe; Nolieti in the Inversions by Banks who is a
real brute but his
brutishness is described with great skill by Banks, so he has
interesting human dimension
(he tries to use the teeth of his victims as his own prostheses) and the
main hero Vosill
even tries to negotiate with him because she cannot believe that he may
be truly so brutish;
and Dr. Jest of Moorcock borrowed from other contexts and transformed
into one-dimensional
sadist. I think the Wolfe's is the best on literary scale and Moorcock's
the worst (no talent,
no imagination and even no honest references to the sources).

Another example (I have forgotten to mention it) is that Arioch is
borrowed from
"The Lord of the Flies" by Golding (he comes as a fly to Elric) and
the whole tradition concerning Beelzebub, and again flattened very much
(though at least he is not one-dimensional character).

I still had no time to analyse Donaldson.

Best

Sergei Soloviev